Whittier Middle School
Immediately across the street from us is Whittier Middle School. It will come as a surprise to almost no one that schools and teachers in our nation are under-funded and poorly supported. And schools in communities across South Dakota are no exception. Big problems can feel overwhelming; it can feel like nothing we do will make any difference. The truth is that everything we do does make a difference, and even small differences can change lives.
The Little Stone Church has committed itself to being a good neighbor and doing what it can to provide support to the teachers and staff of Whittier Middle School. Currently, the school has neither a Parent Teacher Association nor a Parent Teacher Organization. Teachers and staff are under-supported and pull from their own paychecks to cover the extra expenses required to teach well, to care for students, and to make a difference in the lives of their students. And the staff and teachers of Whittier Middle School have it tough from the start as a school serving students from one of the most challenging neighborhoods in our city.
We are working hard to supply teachers with needed supplies to keep their classroom operating smoothly, to encourage morale with snacks in the teacher’s lounge, and to ensure we are doing everything we can to help with the school’s most significant challenges.
Here are some great ways to support project Love Your Neighbor–Whittier Middle School:
- You can connect with us to see what supplies we are currently collecting and drop them off at our building.
- You can make a donation to support our efforts below. Simply include “Love Your Neighbor” in the notes section and we’ll use your full donation to help support the teachers and staff at Whittier Middle School. Thank you! Donate to support project LYN–Whittier Middle School
- You can invite your friends and join us for 50/50 BINGO at WoodGrain Brewing Co. downtown. 50% of each round goes to support project Love Your Neighbor–Whittier Middle School (and 50% goes to the winner of that round). It’s a great way to have fun, support a local business, and also support our teachers and staff at Whittier!
We are currently seeking donations of the following supplies:
• Ticonderoga pencils #2
• 3-inch Post-It Notes
• Expo dry erase markers
• Wide ruled loose-leaf filler paper
• Spiral notebooks, wide ruled
• Flair felt tip pens
• Paper Mate ink joy pens
• Sharpie markers